Sunday, May 16, 2010

Want to get fresh?

Fresh fruit and vegetables that is! I am very anti-supermarket when it comes to my fruit and veg, especially after a friend revealed to me that supermarket produce is often frozen for up to 2 years, before it is on display. Talk about outrageous and not-so-fresh! So I have been committed to finding fresh produce at a reasonable price.

Marrickville Organic Food market is the answer! Held every Sunday from 8:30-3pm, it is very vegan and vegetarian friendly. This place also has great market food. My vegetarian friends bought a vegie stack which looked delicious (I am a proud meat-eater so that says something). I had a spinach and beef gozleme which was perfect on a sunny day.

We also bought a massive bag full of organic fruit and veg for just $40! Which is how much I spend at the grocery store anyways. The markets also ended up being an educational experience as I learned that supermarket apples are covered in wax which helps keep the moisture within the apples. Although this wax is safe for consumption, I just don't like the idea of eating wax covered fruit... So I bought a bought a bag of un-waxed apples and boy were they crunchy!

So if you're in the area and have a hankering for fresh fruit and vegies, hit Marrickville's Organic Food Market.

When? Every Sunday from 8:30-3pm
Where? Addison Road Community Centre, 142 Addison Road, Marrickville

No comments:

Post a Comment