Friday, May 7, 2010

Cold Wednesday= Bamboo Dumpling Bar= Warm Kat

As it was freezing on Wednesday, so BF and I decided to try out the Bamboo Dumpling Bar in Surry Hills (there is also one at Potts Point). It was just the perfect weather for steamed food.
As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by the very friendly chef and the most adorable buddha statue wearing a fedora (don't blame him, his head must have been freezing). The dumpling bar itself is decorated with a bike on the wall, a pop art print with Chairman Mao and my favourite; a blowfish in a bird cage (about time someone put a blowfish in a cage). I love places such as this, where you can spot the little touches of care and thought.

So what about the food? Well, here is what we ordered and what we told about it...

Duck pancakes- They were served hot and were delicious, with just the right amount of sauce and duck.

Pork and chive dumplings- These were my favourite because they tasted exactly like my dad's. It was really creepy. I actually tried to see if my dad was cooking in the kitchen... suspicious if you ask me.

My main was the special for Wednesday night, braised beef with noodles- The beef had soaked up a lot of flavour and the noodles were great, but I did feel like the bowl needed a little more soup.

BF's main was the beef pho- They were ok, it was a great comfort dish.

Beef and lemongrass skewers- Usually I find the lemongrass over powers the beef, but this was not the case. There was a delicious balance of spices and beef.
Overall it was a good Wednesday night, the dinner for 2 cost us less than $50 (inc. tip), the service was good and the placed looked great. What more can a hungry person want on a cold night! I mean a hug would've been nice, but it wasn't on the menu....

Address: 140 Commonwealth Street Surry Hills

Phone:02 9281 1372

Hours: Mon-Sun, 12-10pm































No comments:

Post a Comment