Saturday, October 17, 2009

Was it really magic?


Monkey Magic, the Japanese restaurant on Crown Street in Surry Hills with the giant tree was next on my restaurant calender. 

I will admit that I did expect the waiters to be on flying clouds, long awkward side burns and to be seated at cloud tables. I am not sure if this is an accurate representation of the show, but being born in '85 I don't quite remember that much about the show. 
I digress... I was at Monkey Magic last Thursday night with 3 friends from work. 

I was driving so I had an extravagant mocktail with pineapple, lychee and tropical juice. My friends had a Lychee martini (apparently very strong- so be warned) and a tropical punch (like mine, but with some alcamahol). For entree we
 had Edamame (which was delicious because they were fresh!) and a small sashimi dish, this included salmon, king fish and tuna pieces- YUMMO! 

For mains we girls like to get a little crazy and mix it up, we all ordered Teriyaki chicken, we also assumed that this would include rice... boy was that a crazy assumption. The waiter also didn't ask if we wanted rice. Strange. So we ordered a serve of rice. I said 4 serves and he came back with 1. Strange. Personally I thought my chicken was a little dry, the flavors were there, but I love a moist chicken. Moist. So after our mains, desert was definitely in order. I ordered an apple and pear dish which sounds more exotic on the menu, because it it arrived, it was pretty much just an apple and pear turn over (just letting you know so you too won't be disappointed). My friends ordered a chocolate pudding which looked incredible as the chocolate sauce oozed out of the centre....mmm.... oozing chocolate... and then my other 2 friends ordered banana desert which was presented as a desert spring roll. Intriguing. Apparently it tasted very strange as the textures contradicted each other.

Overall, the atmosphere was good. I loved the interior. Food and drinks were okay, it was moderately priced. The highlight of my evening though was my lovely friends, the restaurant itself was merely a fog (not a cloud) in the background. 

I'm afraid it was a bit more monkey than magic...

Tonight... I'm going to Rockpool Bar & Grill. I wonder what I should wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment