Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Suffering from Post- Traumatic hair-cut syndrome?

I was a sufferer. It took me 5 months to grow out my fringe from my last hair cut and I have been in no rush to get a trim. So I hit the websites and blogs, searching for hairdressers in Sydney who can handle cutting thick Asian hair, in order to avoid another 'hair-tastrophe'. When I moved into Inner West Sydney I thought I’d try the Newtown strip of hair boutiques.

Noddy’s on King: Has won several awards in the past and I think they have gone straight to their heads. All I wanted and expected was little trim, 7cm off the ends later I ended up with a shorter than expected cut. The people were nice enough, although the guy who cut my hair started bagging out Sydney and how everything closes early and there’s not party life. All I wanted to say was “Dude, nobody brings down my town!” if only he converted all that negative energy into positive hair-cutting energy. There was also nothing special about my hair cut - it was just really short and I paid too much for it.

Price: Senior Stylist $85 (includes a shampoo and blow dry which they describe as ‘complimentary’)

Toni & Guy: This place gave a great hair cut and the stylist actually listened to what I wanted. They also offered a wide variety of beverages (I chose hot chocolate because it was winter and raining), she didn’t cut too much off the ends and also recommended a reasonable treatment for my hair, in order to keep it healthy. The only reason I didn’t go back was because the atmosphere was a little too 'come in get a cut and go' - there wasn’t an intimate atmosphere and I had a feeling if I had come in again in 2 months, the stylist who cut my hair wouldn’t remember me. You see for me, having some sort of relationship with my hairdresser is important - I am more enticed to ask for product recommendations and go back for those special occasions.

Price: $83 for a cut & blow dry with a top stylist, $30 for a deluxe treatment.

Dirty Girl hair: This was the place which caused my traumatic hair experience. At the time I was told that it was Daniel Mostyn’s ‘budget’ salon as his official salon had moved and he had hired a bunch of new hair dressers to run Dirty Girl at 230 King Street Newtown. There is an edgy industrial feel to the store so I was a little excited for a new look. I sat down and talked it over with the stylisy who was about to Edward-scissorhand-me and I was expecting a slightly shorter fringe and lots of layers, which was fine. She took me out the back for a wash and then it happened. She hacked into me hair like it was going to attack her. It is true, I have the Asian hair, thick and lots of it, but still there is no need for hair-cut rape. I ended up with a diagonal fringe which was 2cm at the shortest and then it eventually blended in with the rest of my hair. I ended up being fringe-less for at least 2 months, it is a look which my forehead does not care for!

Pelo hair: After being a hair perve for the last few weeks- checking out my friends’ tresses. I asked a friend of mine with a great cut and curly hair, who tames her mane, and she referred me to Pelo hair at 526 King Street Newtown. She recommended Brigitte or Kelly, so I made my appointment and I tried to psyche myself up for it, reminding myself that it will be different this time. When I walked through the doors, I was welcomed into a warm and friendly environment, the chatter sounded like everyone knew each other and the laughter confirmed this. My appointment was with Kelly and she looked at the condition of my hair and the aftermath of my Dirty Girl cut, she then understood the development of my post-traumatic hair cut syndrome. We basically needed to balance my hair out, since it was starting to look a little Carol Brady. So I got my wonderful and relaxing shampoo, then it was down to business and I ended up with an awesome cut which hid the fact that there are still sections of my hair that needed to be grown out. Kelly is my hair savior! I have already made an appointment to see her again for a wedding I have coming up and now that she knows my hair, she’ll know exactly what to do with it!

Price: $78 for Kelly (Who also owns the salon with Brigitte) they also do complimentary fringe trims!

This is definitely my kind of place!

9 comments:

  1. thanks for the review, im asian so my hair is thick too (and curly),still looking for the right hairdresser in newtown

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problamo cecile.

    I almost gave up on hairdressers in Newtown, but I persisted and finally found a good one. I also went back recently for a ghd session and I had another awesome time!

    I do encourage you to go to other places in Newtown though. There are so many places to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was helpful, you are funny and very descriptive! I'm a hairdresser, and that was a great insight into what exactly is going through our clients' heads :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to read that you had a bad experience at Dirty Girl Newtown, as I have had great experiences there.... I recently discovered stylist 'Cath', I have been to her twice, both times she was super friendly & attentive (she washes and styles your hair) and gave me a stylish, modern 'do' that I have been able to maintain myself - they also do free fringe trims! If your open to giving them another go, I would reccomend this Girl, she's great - Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a horrible exerience at Dirty Girl Newtown too; went in for balayage on my blonde hair; came out literally black on top and grey on the roots; she then sent me away without the cut and blowdry i asked for because im sure she knew how badly she had stuffed up and just wanted me outta there; additionally when they were washing it out and combing it so hard and i could feel my hair ripping and tearing, and when i left i was still digging clumps of hair dye gunk out of my ears... honestly shocking! dont be fooled by the commercial attempts at looking industrial grunge; it is not sexy and sleek it is just crap.

      Delete
    2. I had a similarly bad experience at Dirty Girl, I asked for and A line, which was shorter in the back, longer in the front.... What I got was my hair hacked off in the back at a blunt square angle and two flaps on each side in the front.... It was really un wearable. Hate that place.

      Delete
  5. THEY RUINED MY HAIR TOO -

    I asked for a "warmer blonde" and I came out with ORANGE at the roots and GREY at the ends (I suspect they completely overtoned it to compensate for an orange colour).

    I was so upset with the whole process afterwards and felt really pushed around by the hairdressers all clearly trying to cover up the mistake, (three of them were looking at my hair at once).

    Not only that but I had a fringe cut that looks totally horrible on me, as I was convinced by the hairdresser. I totally regret it, and the horrific colour job doesn't help.

    I paid and left because I was upset about it, but really regret not saying anything now. I would go back and demand they fix it, but don't want any of them near my hair ever again.

    I spose if you want an edgy cut and no colour it could be an alright place but it was a terrible mistake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was ruined at Dirty girl and saved by Kelly at Pelo. I think I may have had the same stylist as I ended up with a diagonal fringe, bright red hair that I was told would 'settle down' and burning ambition just to get as far away as possible from the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hair was ruined also at Dirty Girl! I recently had my hair cut and the hairdresser hacked into my hair leaving me with half a fringe and hair so short it may as well as been shaved off! I was traumatised! Im so upset cause it took me almost 2 years to grow my fringe. They offered to fix it but I would never go back not after my horrible experience!

    ReplyDelete