Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Got Fruit Flies? WWMcGD?

I’m not sure where these fruit flies are coming from, but I’ve been finding fruit flies loitering around my sink (damn hooligans!). This is not my ideal sink situation. So I asked myself - what would MacGuyver do?

A quick Google search provided a plethora of ways to catch and/or kill these pesky insects – one way even suggested utilising the oven or dishwasher as a trap to lure and subsequently torture/kill the fruit flies at extreme temperatures. I instead choose a more humane method.

All you need is;
Red Wine Vinegar
A small glass jar/cup

Cling Wrap

A fork


Half fill the small glass jar with Red Wine Vinegar and then cover it with cling wrap. Using the fork, poke some holes through the cling wrap – this acts to let the fruit flies in, but not out. The fruit flies are attracted to the smell of red wine vinegar because it smells like rotting fruit. Place the jar near the infested area and watch as the fruit flies trap themselves. Simple! Leave the device overnight and in the morning you will find nothing but floating remnants of a past problem.
Thus, with a few simple, household items, I was able to manifest a device so successful at catching fruit flies that I now find myself wanting more of these pesky insects around (if only to catch them again).

1 comment:

  1. Must be the weather because we have them too. Will definitely be trying this! And I'm totally stealing WWMcGD.

    ReplyDelete